This extra plush cooling mattress topper is touted to have cooling properties due to the natural bamboo fiber used in the cover. I don’t particularly care why it’s cooling – only that it is. And, I’m here to tell you – it works! It’s also very plush and will turn a hard mattress into one where you feel like you’re sleeping on a cloud. In fact, the one I’ve chosen to showcase there to the left there is the Extra Plush Double Thick Bamboo Fitted Mattress Topper – it also comes in a regular extra plush size which is still equally wonderful, if a bit less thick.
This particular cooling mattress topper also comes in about every size available, from twin all the way up to California king.
Bamboo Mattress Pad Topper Pros
Note: These pro qualities apply to the regular extra plush mattress topper as well as the double thick model.
- This is the perfect mattress for those of us who sleep hot. I’m at the age where menopause is no longer a future dream but is my reality. But, with menopause comes hot flashes and night sweats which were my constant companion until I found this hot flash mattress pad. The very first night I put this cooling bamboo mattress topper atop my mattress, I slept like a baby.
- This particular mattress topper will fit up to an 18” mattress. The elastic sides make it fit any mattress well. There is no shifting around of the mattress pad at any point.I actually bought a second bamboo mattress pad for my camper which has a short Queen bed (just 74 inches long). The queen sized cooling mattress topper fits it perfectly due to the elastic around the sides.
- The mattress pad is double stitched so that the filling doesn’t move around, even after washing. This impressed me quite a bit as I just threw out a more expensive mattress pad that bunched up horribly after the second wash.
- I like that this cooling mattress pad is made in the U.S. It’s difficult to find products that are 100% US made. The owner of the business is a Veteran himself so I felt good buying this particular mattress topper.
I personally haven’t found any cons but, in reading the Amazon reviews, here’s what I see other people commenting on:
- Twenty-seven of 1016 people rated the mattress topper at 1 or 2 stars. In paraphrasing their reviews, here’s my take on what they didn’t like:
- Reviewers complained that there was no cooling effect for the mattress pad. I’m not quite sure what the reason is for this complaint but it is opposite to my own findings.
- One reviewer noted that the mattress pad was too big for the king mattress he or she had and hung over the sides. My take on this is that the elastic sides can be tucked under any size mattress, thereby making it fit well.
I’ve had the king size cooling mattress pad for 3 years now. I wash it frequently (probably every other month) since the dogs just won’t take ‘no getting on the bed’ as a command. In the time I’ve had it, I haven’t had one problem with it.
As a result of sleeping much cooler on my king bed, I purchased the queen bamboo mattress topper for our camper bed just 3 months ago. I’ve only washed it once but it comes out just as fluffy as the king mattress topper.
You should never use fabric softener when washing the Extra Plush Bamboo Mattress topper as the softener may interfere with the cooling properties of the bamboo cover.